I have always hoped that my kids would develop a love for horses too. Even though I know it would be an expensive activity (soccer cleats and tap shoes don't hold a candle to the price of riding boots and helmets), I also know how rewarding it can be. There is such a sense of accomplishment in being able to control a 1000-lb animal and a strong work ethic learned from grooming, bathing, feeding and tending to a creature that is depending on you. Riding teaches you patience, perseverance and courage. Plus it's fun!
Lillie has moved back and forth from the Carolinas and Tupelo during my pregnancies. She is back in Tupelo now, at a beautiful farm about 10 minutes from our house. Sam has been around her for years and is not scared of her at all but Ellie wouldn't go near her for the first several barn visits. And while he loves to brush her and feed her carrots, Sam was timid when it came to the idea of riding her. But in the past couple of weeks, I'm happy to say that Sam was brave enough to ride her and Ellie now loves to pet and talk to her.
The kids helped me groom Lillie
Sam wanted to watch me jump the 'obstacle course' as he calls it. When I was done riding, I told him it was his turn. He didn't want to get on her at first. As often is the case, I had to push a little. I was the same way, though, and I think if you can help push the child past the fear, they end up feeling very brave and proud.
Then he decided he was brave enough to ride her on his own! Oh, visions of jodhpurs and tiny little hunt coats are dancing in my head.
Loving that pony :)
Kicking her forward. Sweet girl, I don't think she could even feel his little legs so I lured her with a treat.
"Whoooaaaa!"
No comments:
Post a Comment