Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

We spent Christmas Eve Eve at the Deas' house, eating and opening presents. As usual, it was crazy chaotic fun and I didn't get a single picture. Lawrence made his delicious gumbo, we stuffed ourselves and exchanged presents.

My parents came in town a couple days before Christmas, and on Christmas Eve we went to the FUMC Candlelight Service and then home for Chicken Chili, a Christmas movie in front of the fire and SANTA! And by SANTA!, I mean Clay and I stayed up for several more hours putting stuff together and trying to find all the presents I'd hidden over the previous weeks.

Here's the thing. About presents. I scaled down this year. I did. And yet, it's still outta control. They don't need all this stuff. I know that. And I feel guilty when I know there is real poverty all over the world. But then I love my children. And I love to see them happy. Christ was a giver, an extravagant Giver of Gifts. He delights in giving us the desires of our hearts and I believe there is real joy in watching my children / His children enjoying those gifts. So... I struggle. With how much is too much, and how to delight their little souls with fun and excitement without burying them in materialism and greed. It's tough and this world makes it tougher. And so I will pray and try my best and trust God to make up for where I fail.

Anyway...

Christmas PJ's!

On our way to the Candlelight Service


Leaving cookies and milk for Santa

Minnie was appreciative


About 10 hours later...
Christmas Morning!

New dress-up clothes!


An apron and new doll and stroller!

A playhouse with a high chair!

Nana & Papa brought Sam a REAL electric train

Learning all about how the train works from Papa

Big girl panties!
 
Legos and Monster Trucks!



Roast Turkey carved by my (chef) husband's hands

We spent the rest of the day eating, playing with our new toys and I even got a nap! Nana cooked most of our Christmas dinner and it was perfect. And somehow I didn't get a single picture of Nana and Papa while they were here!

No comments: