Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday Night

It's 9:30 on Friday night and I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. Everybody else is asleep and I'm waiting on the dogs to finish their supper so I can go to bed. My, how the times have changed...
Twenty years ago I would have spent a Friday night at the mall, walking around with my girlfriends giggling about boys. Fifteen years ago I would have spent Friday night with a boyfriend, kissing or fighting or a little of both. Ten years ago, at 9:30 on a Friday night, I would be finishing up my shift at City Tavern and getting ready to GO OUT. Five years ago on a Friday night would have found me EXTREMELY pregnant, laid up in the bed with some sort of ice cream and a bag of Tums, just 20 days from meeting my Sam Crabb for the first time.

But tonight? Tonight I made homemade pizza dough with two little helpers who got more flour on their bare tummies than on the pizza pan. Tonight I had a supper picnic on the floor with Clay and the kids. Tonight we watched Aristocats and sang "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" and laughed at Ellie dancing and Sam making up his own words. Tonight we broke the rules and had chocolate chip cookies right before bed and drank milk without lids in the living room. Tonight I am going to bed with dishes in the sink, crumbs on the floor and probably some greasy little chocolate fingerprints on my sofa. But who cares? Tonight wasn't exciting or glamorous. It's not a Facebook status or Twitter worthy. I don't even have any pictures to document the memory. But I think this Friday night is what it's all about... little things, simple times, spent with the people that God chose just for me.

1 comment:

rina c. said...

Love this post! Warms my heart :) It's definitely the small things & quality time with loved ones that make lasting impressions!! So what if you didn't take pictures...I bet you'll ALWAYS remember is particular Friday night :)