Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow Days

I laughed at all the people rushing to the stores over the weekend but then the weather man was right- we woke up Monday morning to 8 inches of powdery white snow! It was so beautiful and quiet. Our entire neighborhood was blanketed in white, even the roads.
Sam was super excited so shortly after breakfast we bundled up and headed out to play. We ran into the Rayburns and walked with them over to Church Street Elementary to sled down the big hill. So. Much. Fun. I felt like a big kid. I'm sure the 'real' kids got sick of us grown-ups hogging their sleds but hey, mamas gots to have fun too!

Look at all that snow! You can't even see our driveway.

Sam and Thomas with their 'Mississippi Sleds'

Walking down Madison to Robins Field


Ellie kept taking her hat and gloves off. 
At least she didn't fight the boots this time.

Family pic in the snow. Little sister didn't last much longer after this.

THE HILL. All kinds of sleds went down that slope- Radio flyers, trash can lids, plastic toboggans, laundry baskets, rubbermaid tops, even a snow board. The fastest ones were made by Jim Smith for his 3 boys out of sheets of fiberglass sprayed with furniture polish.

Sam getting ready for his turn on the hill. 
I had to go up there and help him push him but then he loved it!


Sam and I took a turn together.


And then I was addicted. Clay took Ellie home to warm up and I dragged Sam up and down the hill a few more times. 
He was kinda over it but I still made him- I needed him to be my excuse for cutting in line :). It was almost as much fun watching everybody else sled as well! Almost.

Posey McGraw with Celie Rayburn, Ally Lipscomb and Mamie McGraw (hidden)

Posey with Sam and Katie Bell 

Cade Curry and Wesley Sumner

Cousin William taking a break

Miller Lipscomb and Andrew Goad on one of the Smiths' fiberglass sleds

Ally Lipscomb, Virginia and Anna Kate Womack and Mamie McGraw

All the neighborhood kids on the hill. 
They probably won't see snow like this again until they're our age! 
Such a neat memory.

No comments: