Sunday, September 23, 2012

September Phone Dump

I've been using my big camera less and less; the camera on my phone is just way too convenient. It's so much easier to catch those in-the-moment-real-life-as-it's-happening photos with my phone. Speaking of real life as it's happening...

Somebody turned 6 this month. I really can't say much more about that or I will get all blubbery, but, just, WOW. How did that happen?

We started the day with chocolate chip pancakes, bacon and Legos. Then celebrated that night with pizza and ice cream. All of Sam's favorite things.

The next day, we had a swimming party at the Wellness Center. I can't get those pictures from my iPad to this computer, but here's the cake. That was the best part anyway.

I mean- CHEVRON y'all. Mary McGuire is awesome.

Ellie has turned into my barn girl this summer. Quite a change from the child that SCREAMED bloody murder at the sight of a horse just a year ago.


Sister thinks she is so big. 'Reading' Sam's Superman book while he is at Co-op.

A girl after my own heart- she loves peanut butter like a fat kid loves... peanut butter

We got some cool science experiments from Sam's friends for his birthday, which was awesome because the kids loved doing them together and I didn't have to plan a science lesson for that day :)

Volcano

Ant Farm

We also celebrated our 9th anniversary. And by 'celebrated', I mean Clay sent me flowers and I sent him a 'Happy Anniversary, I luv u' text in between homeschooling/laundry/cooking. That's ok, we got plenty of celebrating in on our trip a couple weeks prior. 

Pretty flowers from my precious husband. I think I told Ellie at least 14 times to STOP PICKING MY FLOWERS!

What else...

We studied Ancient Egypt in school...

Spent some time snuggling this sweet kitty...

And went to a Flat Stanley party at our friend Kabir's house.


Ellie and I have been enjoying some girl time on Mondays while Sam is at Co-op.
We run errands, have mani-pedis in the kitchen, eat lunch together and have tea parties. I'm so thankful for this time. What a blessing to be able to focus solely on my sweet, funny girl for a few hours.


'Look mommy, I'm a BRI-IIIIIDE'

We mailed our Flat Stanley to Aunt Jessa in Washington DC!

Oh, and look, our ants have made all kinds of tunnels. I don't freak out and start itching all over every time I look at this thing, I swear.

Ellie has been LOVING her dance class. She asks me every day 'when am I ever gonna get to go to dance class again??' Oh, and last week, she actually let me put pigtails WITH BOWS in her hair. We've been fighting about discussing this since she was 18 months old.

Sweet dance friends Elizabeth and Marley

After much much MUCH deliberation and second-guessing and worrying and whining, I decided to keep Ellie home with us this year as well. At least for now. So we are doing pre-school and 1st grade together. It's requiring a lot of juggling and flexibility and patience (good thing those qualities come so naturally to me) but we are starting to get into a sort of rhythm. Figuring out what works. Learning ALOT about our (my) limitations and how much I need the grace of God to get. through. each. day. I remember reading in a book or article or blog about homeschooling that there is nothing quite as sanctifying as teaching your own children. Because all the ugly, selfish, sinful JUNK is forced to the surface and you can't run away from it because here are these two little faces looking at you, minds that need to be filled, souls to be shaped, hearts to be won for the Lord. There isn't some 'me time' in your immediate future to recharge and refocus and come back 'in a better place' to serve your children. You just have to keep doing it. Relying on his strength. Surrendering each moment. ACCEPTING His Grace. I'm really not good at any of this but I'm learning.

And occasionally I look up to see moments like this:

No comments: